A fly fishing holiday in New Zealand is one that will last forever in the memory. New Zealand ranks as one of the most scenic countries in the world and the diversity of trout-fishing available is hard to beat. Backcountry rivers, lowland streams, alpine lakes, spring creeks, freestone streams, hydro lakes, tailwaters, the list goes on and on. New Zealand is widely known for its huge Brown and Rainbow Trout and has a prolific sea-run brown trout fishery which is only just beginning to be explored.
The two separate islands are unique and offer different characters. The North Island offers great beaches, stunning National Parks and is steeped in Maori culture. It offers spectacular world-class backcountry fishing for Trophy Rainbow and Brown Trout.
The South Island is Brown Trout heaven. Big Browns eating big dry flies amongst stunning scenery is about as good as it gets. It undoubtedly offers the best sight-fishing to wild fish in the world. If you add to this some of the finest vineyards, alpine scenery, fjordland and glacier tours, whale-watching and a range of adrenaline sports, there is no better place to combine fly fishing with a family holiday.
Fly Odyssey can offer you a variety of travel options to suit your needs and requirements from self-drive holidays and hosted fly fishing trips to complete guided packages and lodge stays with the best outfitters in the region. You can be sure that your travel arrangements are being organised by people who know the country intimately.
- New Zealand is easily accessed from Europe, the Middle-East and Asia with flights from many countries.
- There are various international flight options to Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch.
- Passport with minimum six months validity and photo ID to purchase fishing license.
- A tourist visa is required for all citizens (except Australians) entering New Zealand. A three-month tourist visa is provided by passport control when entering the country.
- Currency: NZ Dollar
- Capital: Wellington
- Airport: Christchurch, Wellington or Auckland
- Population: 4.5 million
- Language: English
- Religion: Christian
- Electricity: 220v two-pin
- Time: 13 hours ahead of GMT and 2 hours behind Australia